The Road to Better Attendance May Begin on the School Bus
A recent study found that kindergartners who rode the bus had lower absenteeism rates than their classmates who did not ride the bus. Could a focus on school bus transportation improve attendance at your school?
- Send information home to parents about school bus safety and rules. Parents are more likely to put their children on the school bus if they feel it is safe.
- Build relationships between the transportation staff and students. Bus drivers could come into classrooms to talk to students about school bus safety and behavior.
- Offer incentives for students who ride the bus. Create a point system to reward students who ride the bus regularly and safely. Consider entering bus riders into a drawing to win a prize or a homework pass.
Your School Marquee is Key
Marquees give schools the opportunity to communicate important messages to students, parents and the community. They are a cost-effective way to spread the word about upcoming events and an easy way to boost school spirit. Here are three other ways to use your marquee. Use it to...
- Raise school funds. Some schools allow parents to purchase space on their marquees to wish their child a happy birthday.
- Promote school-business partnerships. Did a local grocery store provide snacks on field day? Did a restaurant host a school spirit night? Thank them on your marquee and other businesses will take note.
- Build your image. Great test scores? Award-winning teachers? Post your accomplishments for all to see!